These muffins are perfect for a chocolate cake craving without going too crazy!
I tweaked this recipe a bit, and since I’d been told that flax absorbs more liquid than the almond flour, I upped the amount of almond breeze in the recipe. They’re surprisingly hearty, have a great natural taste, and the carob chips give the muffin the perfect amount of sweetness without being too overwhelming. I will absolutely be making these again!
Chocolate Chip Flax Muffins - makes 6
- 3/4 CupBob’s Red Mill Flax Meal
- 2 Scoops Protein Powder (I used Designer Whey Double Chocolate)
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup & 1 tbsp Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened - (I’m thinking I might make this 3 the next time I make it with the hope that it’ll be slightly more moist)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened carob chips
- Optional - Splenda to taste (I prefer something not sweet and the recipe on it’s own gets most of the sweetness from the berries. If you want a sweet muffin I’d recommend using whatever sweetener you’re comfortable with.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray for easy removal.
2. Mix the dry ingredients (flax meal, protein powder, baking powder) in a bowl and whisk so there are no lumps.
3. Melt the butter (30 seconds in the microwave should do the trick) and add to the mix along with the almond breeze and eggs.
4. Mix thoroughly until the batter is consistent. Then pour in the carob chips and mix until they’re evenly spread through the batter.
5. Spoon batter into the tin.
6. Bake for 12 - 17 minutes, and then allow to cool.
Nutrition Facts - For 1 Muffin (approx)
(Almond breeze - 25, protein powder - 200, eggs - 140, butter - 300, flax meal - 600, carob chips - 140 = 1,405/6 = 234)
(Almond breeze - 1, protein powder - 36, eggs - 12, butter - 0, flax meal - 30, carob chips - 4 = 83/6 = 14)
Net Carbs: 4g
(Almond breeze - 1, protein powder - 6, eggs - 2, butter - 0, flax meal - 0, carob chips - 12= 21/6 = 3 - 4)
******I edited the recipe so it’s correct. There were steps taken from the old recipe that were accidentally left in :)****