While many people on a low carb diet claim to not miss pastries, I am not one of them. My favorite pre-keto treat was a sugarless scone from Corrado Bread in Grand Central Market. Yesterday I made caveman keto’s Almond buns and since I am wary of sugar substitutes, opted out of adding splenda.
I was amazed at how savory they were, and I thought with a few modifications I could make it a berry friendly muffin. This is my first attempt at making Raspberry Vanilla Almond Flour Muffins. I’ll be messing with the recipe a bit, but for now I’m happy to report that this first batch came out well!
I’m excited to once again be able to enjoy a muffin with coffee.
Raspberry Vanilla Almond Flour Muffins - makes 6
- 3/4 CupBob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- 2 Scoops Protein Powder (I used Designer Whey French Vanilla)
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened - (I’m thinking I might make this 3 the next time I make it with the hope that it’ll be slightly more moist)
- Fresh Raspberries (18)
- Optional - Splenda to taste (I prefer something not sweet and the recipe on it’s own gets most of the sweetness from the berries. If you want a sweet muffin I’d recommend using whatever sweetener you’re comfortable with.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray for easy removal.
2. Mix the dry ingredients (almond flour, protein powder, baking powder) in a bowl and whisk so there are no lumps.
3. Melt the butter (30 seconds in the microwave should do the trick) and add to the mix along with the almond breeze and eggs.
4. Mix thoroughly until the batter is consistent.
5. Spoon batter into the bottom of each tin, approx. filling half of the tin.
6. Place 3 raspberries in each muffin, and cover with remaining batter.
7. Bake for 12 - 17 minutes, and then allow to cool.
Nutrition Facts - For 1 Muffin (approx)
(Almond breeze - 10, protein powder - 200, eggs - 140, butter - 300, almond flour - 480, raspberries - 18 = 1,148/6 = 192)
(Almond breeze - >1, protein powder - 36, eggs - 12, butter - 0, almond flour - 18, raspberries - 0 = 66.5/6 = 11)
Net Carbs: 4g
(Almond breeze - 1, protein powder - 6, eggs - 2, butter - 0, almond flour - 9, raspberries - 1= 19/6 = 3 - 4)